Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Honeymoon continues...Cheesy Alert

I don't remember this, but my grandma reminds Will of it every time we see her. Soon after we were married, she asked Will if the Honeymoon was over. He told her that the Honeymoon lasts 5 years. So now she always asks Will if the Honeymoon is over, and he of course tells her no (since I am usually in the room too:). After 5 years of marriage (8 as a couple) I would say we maybe don't feel like Honeymooners, but something even better. We still love spending time together, think each other is the funniest/smartest/wittiest/cutest/kindest, and still burst out with a spontaneous "I'm the luckiest" when we are filled with awe by the fact that we nabbed someone so great:) The only difference is that we have that many more reasons to feel lucky, that much more proof that the other is the perfect fit, and that many more memories to fill our games of "Remember when?"

People say that you start looking and thinking like your spouse after spending enough time with them, and it is a little scary sometimes how we think the exact same things at the exact same moments. Half the time we just look at each other and start laughing because we know what the other is thinking. Some people might think this sounds a little co-dependent or anti-individual (in our individualistic culture), but I think if anything being together has made us better individuals. I have learned about my limitations and issues within the security of our relationship, and have grown because of it. And hopefully Will would say the same. We can both stand pretty firm if we think we are right, but most of the time we do hear what the other says and are willing to listen (even if it takes a day or so to admit it:) We already looked kind of alike when we started dating (mostly the eyes), so it might get a little scary 40 years down the road if we look even more alike...

See the pics above from our celebratory trip to Grand Marais this past weekend.

Last year I put some lyrics from a Storyhill song up for our anniversary and here's a verse from another of theirs that I love:

We slept our sleepless nights alone wonderin' what it's all for
Until we found each other here
Still we lie awake at night and we talk about the things
That we would only talk about behind closed doors

And if I could I would lie awake with you every night and all nights evermore
And if I could I would write your name on every grain of sand on every shore


Happy 5th Will! I love you and really am the luckiest!

Until next time,
Kirsten

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the cheesiness.

I also want the names of those 2 Storyhill songs.

Love you both.