Thursday, June 30, 2011

Backblogging

















I am a bit behind in my blogging, and we had an eventful trip to Seattle this month to catch you up on. It was such a jam-packed weekend, that each event deserves its own post:)








Before I get to that, though, here are a few highlights of June:

*Grand Old Day happens every year right outside of our door (pretty much anyway). This year we spent the day listening to bands and trying not to get sunburned. Our favorite band of the day was Dead Man Winter, which includes 3 members of Trampled by Turtles and have a pretty similar sound. We also stuck around for 4 on the floor (all of their songs are in 4-4 time and they each have their own kick drum) and Heiruspecs (sp?). Definitely a different crowd for each band. It was great being able to just come and go from home when we wanted. Next year I think we'll try to cover more ground- the art section is fun, but it is a good walk from our end.

* Will got a new job! He is the new Career Counselor at North Central University in downtown Minneapolis!! It is where he did his internship and he really enjoys working with the team there so he is looking forward to starting full-time on Tuesday. When he found out he intercepted me on a run and I was probably a sight for those driving by, I was so happy for him. Way to go Will-O!

*I ran my 10K last weekend. The Children's Cancer Research Fund put it on, so the money went to a great cause. Races can get a bit expensive (especially considering the fact that you can run the distance by yourself for free), so I try to pick ones that go toward a charity. It was a beautiful course through the woods and along the Mississippi river, with a finish overlooking downtown St. Paul. I love running on my own, but there is something really festive and empowering about running in races with a group of people. I'm not competitive about it at all, but people cheer each other on and are usually pretty pumped up about being there, so the energy is contagious. In a race like this, there were also teams running for, or in memory of, a child with cancer which was very moving.

Now, on to our trip to Seattle. I headed out on Friday the 10th and got to hang out with Arun and Megan that day. We got a delicious breakfast on Lower Queen Anne at a place that does a breakfast happy hour- what a brilliant idea! Sooo good, for sooo cheap. Will and I would definitely get brunch more often if such a thing existed in MSP- anyone know if it does? I tried Beignets for the first time and they are TROUBLE. They're kind of like donuts, but even richer. I guess nothing is too rich for the French...or this rogue Swede.

That night we celebrated Michelle's Bridal Shower at Kiara's house. Michelle's sister, Melissa, came up from Portland and prepped a smorgasbord of treats including Stromboli, which is my new favorite party food. It was really easy to make, very filling, and can be cut up into finger food. Kiara's son Dane (1 1/2) and Michelle's niece Lakia (2) kept everyone entertained for the night- Dane liked walking around in all of our shoes and Lakia tasted the frosting on the cupcakes, just to make sure they were okay, and then put them back for us to enjoy:)

Enjoy a few pics from the night!


No comments: